To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox daily at 3 p.m. PST, subscribe right here.
Of us, we’ve acquired some actually unhappy information for you. The weekend is right here, which signifies that you need to cease working for a pair days. We all know, it’s a tragedy. However don’t fear, Monday is just two quick weekend days away, after which you may get again to the grindstone.
Black Historical past Month continues! Initially printed in 1975, For Coloured Women Who Have Thought of Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf is a powerful, passionate, and fearless story of what it meant to be a lady of colour within the twentieth century. Properly price a learn — or search it out onstage!
A lot love and hugs and such, Christine and Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
- Cash, cash, cash…have to be humorous: Warner Bros. Discovery revealed that it misplaced one other $2.1 billion within the fourth quarter. That is regardless of the success of reveals like “The Final of Us” on HBO and video games like “Hogwarts Legacy.” Lauren explains extra.
- Style layoffs: Secondhand attire market Poshmark is now shedding workers simply two months after being acquired by Naver, Kate reviews.
- One other brick within the wall: Ron explains why a doable U.S. Division of Justice lawsuit over competitors might derail the pending $20 billion Adobe-Figma deal.
Startups and VC
The reality of the matter is that Cellular World Congress (MWC) was by no means a client tech present, per se, however the participation of assorted smartphone makers remodeled it right into a helpful launching pad. Brian explores in What we count on from MWC 2021.
Within the face of conscripted co-founders and blacked-out bunkers, Ukraine’s tech trade marches on. Mike explores how, a 12 months on from Russia’s invasion, Ukrainian startups present astounding resilience.
And we have now 5 extra for you:
- Pay, pay pay: Telecom large Airtel eyes a stake in Paytm, by Manish.
- Purchase, purchase, purchase: Rebuy is out to alter the shopper shopping for expertise, one personalization at a time, Christine reviews.
- Deb, dev, dev: Alchemy launches a instrument that permits devs to begin constructing dApps inside 4 minutes, Jacquelyn reviews.
- Ai, ai, AI: Natasha L reviews how Voicemod instruments up with $14.5 million to journey the generative AI (sonic)increase.
- Pic, pic, pic: South Africa’s Envisionit Deep AI will get $1.65 million to increase entry to medical imaging, reviews Annie.
5 questions rising managers ought to ask earlier than deciding on LPs
Earlier than an rising supervisor can begin backing startups, they’ll first have to earn the belief of restricted companions who’re keen to wager on their funding thesis.
“Every step up the decision-making ladder will increase the chance of dismissal, misplaced info or miscommunication, which may be mitigated if you may get in entrance of the decision-makers early on,” says Linda Greub, co-founder and managing accomplice of Avestria Ventures.
Drawing from her personal expertise, Greub shares 5 questions rising managers can use “to seek out the traders most certainly to imagine in you.”
Three extra from the TC+ staff:
TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup groups get forward of the pack. You may enroll right here. Use code “DC” for a 15% low cost on an annual subscription!
Large Tech Inc.
A brand new hacker group going by the identify CH01 defaced Russian web sites to have them show a video of the Kremlin on fireplace. Lorenzo has extra.
Google One subscribers can rejoice over this information that they now have entry to Google Images’ new AI-powered “Magic Eraser” that may take away undesirable content material from pictures, Sarah reviews.
We’ve a deal with for you: six tales as an alternative of 5: