11 hours in the past
Texas A&M Athletics
BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Fueled by the inside-outside mixture of Julius Marble and Wade Taylor IV, the No. 25 Texas A&M males’s basketball workforce took down the No. 11 Tennessee Volunteers, 68-63, in entrance of a sellout crowd of 12,989 on Tuesday at Reed Area.
It was the sixth straight SEC victory for the Aggies, who improved to 21-7 total and 13-2 in league play. The Volunteers fell to 20-8 total and 9-6 within the SEC.
The 13 convention wins are tied for the fifth-most at school historical past for the Aggies with three video games to play. It was the Aggies’ third win over a ranked opponent this yr after earlier wins over then-No. 20 Missouri and then-No. 15 Auburn.
Taylor IV, a sophomore from Dallas, Texas, led the Aggies in scoring for the fifth straight recreation with 25 factors, whereas Marble, a junior switch from Dallas by way of Michigan State, muscled in a career-high 21 factors and matched his season excessive with 9 rebounds. The SEC chief in free-throw proportion, Taylor hit a formidable 16-of-17 from the free throw line.
Deadlocked at halftime, 31-31, the Aggies got here out scorching within the second stanza to shortly take a four-point benefit, however Tennessee roared again to seize a one-point benefit on the 15:28 mark. Ten seconds later Dexter Dennis countered with a jumper that gave the Aggies a lead they’d not relinquish.
The Maroon & White ultimately constructed a nine-point however the veteran Vols wouldn’t stop as they outscored Texas A&M 15-7 over the subsequent 5 minutes to drag inside some extent at 57-56 with seven minutes left.
With the sport within the stability, Taylor and Marble accounted for the Aggies’ closing 11 factors, together with seven factors by way of free throws, and the Aggies’ protection restricted UT to seven factors on simply three discipline targets over the ultimate seven minutes for the five-point win.
Scoring in double figures for the tenth straight recreation was graduate Tyrece Radford with 10 factors. The Aggies related on 40% from the sector whereas making an attempt 9 extra pictures than the Volunteers and hit 28-of-34 from the road.
Coach Buzz Williams
On the response of the workforce once they have been down… “It is exceptional how a lot they care and the togetherness that they compete with and the unity amongst the gamers and the employees and the unity between the gamers and employees. It drained each single ounce out of everybody in this system and I believe that whilst they have been reaching empty, they performed with effort and togetherness.”
Sophomore guard Wade Taylor IV
On taking part in in entrance of the extraordinary crowd… It means quite a bit. Our followers know when to cheer and when to be quiet. Once we wanted the massive cease on the finish, it acquired actually loud and I could not hear. That momentum and strain they placed on different groups actually fuels us and helps us.”
Junior ahead Julius Marble
On the right way to combat by way of powerful video games… “It begins in apply. The teaching employees prepares us for conditions the place we have now to get a cease and get a turkey within the final minute or two to win the sport. It is echoed all through the workforce and we apply that on a regular basis so we’re all the time poised in that state of affairs.”
- The Aggies are 2-4 towards the Vols within the Buzz Williams period. Texas A&M snaps a three-game shedding skid towards Tennessee at Reed Area and transfer to 11-7 within the all-time collection.
- Three gamers completed in double figures for third straight recreation and the twelfth time this season. Julius Marble (21) and Wade Taylor IV (25) completed with 20 or extra factors for the second time this season. The duo beforehand accomplished this feat on Feb. 7, 2023 towards Auburn.
- The Aggies are 3-0 towards ranked opponents this season.
- Texas A&M used the beginning lineup mixture of Henry Coleman III, Dexter Dennis, Julius Marble, Tyrece Radford and Wade Taylor IV for the nineteenth time this season (16-3).
- Marble recorded a career-high 21 factors ending 6-of-10 from the sector and 9-of-13 from the charity stripe. Logged double-digit factors for the twelfth time this season and twenty first of his profession. Matched his season excessive in rebounds with 9. Led the workforce in rebounds for eighth time this season.
- Radford registered double figures for the tenth straight recreation after ending with 10 factors. Marked the twentieth time this season he is completed in double figures and the 78th time in his profession.
- Taylor IV Led all gamers with 25 factors to match his career-high. Logged 20 or extra factors for the second straight recreation. Recorded double figures for the fifth straight recreation, whereas additionally main the workforce in factors within the final 5 video games. Completed in double digit factors for the twenty first time this season and thirty seventh time of his profession.
- Taylor IV additionally registered his second straight recreation to complete in double digit factors in free throws after going 16-of-17 from the charity stripe. The final participant to go to the free throw line 15 or extra instances was Emmanuel Miller towards Tarleton on Dec. 2, 2020.
- Within the closing two minutes of video games inside 10 factors, Taylor is an ideal 18-for-18 from the charity stripe this season. He was 4-for-4 vs. Tennessee throughout the final 17 seconds.
- Taylor IV additionally swiped a team-high 4 steals.