about an hour in the past
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Freshman Brandon Miller went for a career-high 41 factors and hit the game-winning basket within the last seconds to guide the No. 2 Alabama males’s basketball workforce previous South Carolina in extra time, 78-76, Wednesday evening in Colonial Life Area.
With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 24-4 on the 12 months and maintains its grip on first place within the Southeastern Convention at 14-1.
Miller dominated all through the evening, hitting career-bests of 14-of-25 photographs from the sector, together with hitting 6-of-13 from past the arc, to go together with eight rebounds, three steals and a pair of blocks in 43 minutes of motion on the evening.
He additionally hit the basket within the last seconds of regulation to ship the sport to extra time, whereas his sport successful basket got here with nine-tenths of a second remaining on the sport clock.
Charles Bediako was the one different UA participant to succeed in double figures, ending with 10 factors, 9 rebounds and two blocked photographs. Noah Clowney completed with eight factors and eight rebounds, whereas Mark Sears added eight factors within the win.
The Crimson Tide trailed by 5 factors with simply over three minutes remaining in regulation however outscored the Gamecocks 9-4 the remainder of the best way to drive extra time. Miller scored six of UA’s 10 factors to safe the victory.
South Carolina (10-18, 3-12) was led by GG Jackson’s 19 factors, whereas Meechi Johnson and Jacobi Wright added 18 apiece within the shedding effort.
- The win marked the Tide’s eighth-straight victory over the Gamecocks within the sequence, and second consecutive win in Colonial Life Area.
- Brandon Miller turned the primary Alabama participant to attain 40 factors in a sport since Collin Sexton had 40 in opposition to Minnesota on Nov. 25, 2017.
- The competition featured 12 ties and 10 lead adjustments, as Alabama led for 19:17 and South Carolina held the lead for 18:30.
- Alabama dominated within the paint, owing a 40-27 benefit on the glass and outscoring USC 40-24 within the paint.
- The Tide additionally had an 11-5 edge in offensive boards that resulted in a 9-2 benefit in second-chance factors.
- It was the second extra time sport of the season and the primary since Alabama’s quadruple extra time victory in opposition to then-No. 1 North Carolina within the Phil Knight Invitational (11/27).
- South Carolina made a half-court buzzer beater to lead to 35-31 halftime lead, simply the second time in SEC play the Crimson Tide has trailed at intermission.
- Miller led all scorers with 15 factors within the first half, taking pictures 5-of-9 from the sector and 3-of-6 from three-point vary South Carolina shot 56 % from the sector, whereas Alabama shot 40 %.
- Bediako made an influence on offense for UA, scoring seven factors together with 5 rebounds.
- Alabama outrebounded South Carolina 18-11 led by Bediako’s 5 boards.
- South Carolina constructed its lead as much as as many as seven early within the half earlier than the Tide went on an 10-0 run to regain the lead, with Miller scoring all 10 factors.
- From that time on, the half featured seven ties and 6 lead adjustments.
- Miller’s layup with 4 seconds left to play evened the rating at 68-68 and compelled extra time.
- Mark Sears scored all eight of his factors whereas Miller had 20 of his 41 within the second half.
- After South Carolina took an early lead within the further interval, three consecutive layups from the Crimson Tide freshmen – Jaden Bradley, Brandon Miller and Noah Clowney – to present UA a 74-70 lead.
- Miller scored six factors in all in extra time, together with the final 4 on layups with every placing Alabama within the lead The sport-winner sport with 00.9 seconds left and the following desperation heave was simply off the mark.
Alabama will return house to face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Saturday afternoon The competition will tipoff at 2 p.m. ET and air stay on ESPN2 It will likely be Senior Day as this system will honor Adam Cottrell, Noah Gurley and Dom Welch previous to tipoff